About Me

My photo
I'm Morgan Thomas, I am a TCU Alumni, class of 2011 with a Bachelors in science (nursing). I love what I do (I work in an ICU). I am profoundly deaf in both ears with a Cochlear Implant on my left ear. I'm not afraid to talk about it, I don't mind people asking me questions about it. I have been deaf since I was 2 and I hope to get my second implant within this year (2012). I read lips very well and do not know sign language. I am an Austinite, I love the city and always will. I have a younger sister who is nothing like me but we're best friends. I have a boyfriend named Zachary, we have been together for almost two years now and he is also my best friend. I am new at blogging and hope to make this my new hobby.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Don't take your health for granted

I feel I am at the stage in my life where I'm transitioning into paying more attention to my health and how it might effect me in the long run. I just went to the Periodontist yesterday to get my gums evaluated. I was referred by my dentist and had previous gum surgery due to receding gums. I was told after the evaluation that I have apical periodontitis which can lead to gum disease if not treated early or properly. I took the news hard and was really concerned. It usually happens in people who neglect taking care of their teeth and gums and also people who haven't been to the dentist in years. It's rare for this condition to happen at such a young age like me (I'm 23). Only 15% of the population between ages 21-50 have this condition. Luckily my dentist caught it early and I'm able to treat it in a non-invasive way, but if it doesn't work well enough then I might have to have surgery. Just because we're young doesn't mean we're invincible to an illness of some kind. How ever we take care of our bodies now effects us for the rest of our lives, that includes working out, eating right, exercising our minds, doing simple things that we do every day like brushing our teeth, washing our face, or flossing! In the grand scheme of things, it is totally worth it to put the effort into it now. We're young and strong and we can overcome illness and establish habits a lot easier than older people who already have their ways set. I know I will grow up with a nursing mindset but this is also a personal outlook for me. I encourage everyone to do one healthy thing for their body each day, whether that's flossing, eating fruit, going on a short walk, or doing a puzzle to challenge your minds. You will thank yourself one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment